Friday, August 14, 2009

More about surgery

So my surgery was at 4 o'clock in the afternoon. But the folks in my surgeon's office insisted (I called twice) that I not eat or drink after midnight. I should have mentioned to them that this would almost certainly lead to a migraine, maybe they would have relented a bit. But I didn't.

And, boy howdy (as my cousin Jonathan would say), did I end up with a migraine. Wicked pain, light sensitivity and nausea. Laying on a bed in pre-surgery, covered by a stupid hospital gown, with both feet in casts, shivering cold and yet drenched in sweat from the migraine...and dry heaving. If that's not fun, I don't know what is!

Anyway, learn from my mistake: if there's a reason why you shouldn't fast for more than the 6 or 8 hours that the anesthesiologists actually need you to, let folks know. Maybe your experience will be a little happier.

1 comment:

  1. So glad to hear the surgeries have gone well, Jim. Great blog & oooh boy those photos sure do paint the picture.

    --Adrienne

    ReplyDelete