Friday, August 7, 2009

Third Appointment

Had my third appointment with my surgeon today. Swelling has gone down enough that I will go into surgery on Tuesday as planned. Had one more small blister de-roofed (?) and sutures removed from both sides of my ankle.

Asked about my left ankle, and learned that it will probably be in a cast for another 5 weeks. Somehow I didn't think it would be nearly that long. Yikes.

Anyway, as you can see, the swelling really has gone down, my foot has even started to resemble a foot again.
_MG_4362

In some ways, now that the swelling has gone down, the sutures stand out even more.
_MG_4356

_MG_4358

Around the back of my leg, I'm amazed at how close together the incisions are.
_MG_4367

I'm also amazed at how much my calf has atrophied already. Hard to imagine what it will be like after another 6+ weeks in a cast!

_MG_4364

And then the sutures were pulled. Seems amazingly soon, but I guess when you know the skin won't be moved because the joint will be splinted, you can remove sutures a great deal sooner. (And of course, they were steri-stripped, so it's not like they're opening anyway.)

_MG_4368

_MG_4369

4 comments:

  1. You're going to have some rockin' scars, Jim.

    -Tim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that the truth! I had a friend who had achilles tendon surgery which left a long criss-crossed scar up the back of his heel and calf. He was planning on turning it into a palm tree with some tattoos. Maybe I should consider something similar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ross is reading Frankenstein right now. Maybe I should show him your pictures.

    I am glad that the only thing that was hurt during your fall were your ankles. We miss you! And tell your mom I say hello.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jim - I feel half your pain. And you will have a long road of recovery ahead of you. But thank goodness for incredible medicine that can fix our broken bodies! And a workplace that is supportive of injured employees.

    I'll be "scooter" and you can be "hot wheels"!

    ReplyDelete