Sunday, August 9, 2009

Stories from the ER

So once I got rolled into the ER and slid from the ambulance gurney to the hospital bed, they determine pretty quickly that i didn't need to be on the backboard, so I was untaped and unstrapped and the backboard was removed.

Two funny things happened in the ER. Shortly after I arrived, as things were just about to get underway, a woman comes into my room and exclaims "Oh, that's awesome!" She was, of course, commenting on my compound fracture, and it turns out she was one of my ER nurses. Always good to be in the hands of someone enthusiastic about their job!

Later I heard somebody come in the room, but they didn't come up to the head of the bed. I lifted my head and looked around to see two paramedics checking out my compound fracture. It was a little disconcerting; I'm not sure you really want to be the freak that the other paramedics are coming to check out.

For what it's worth, the folks in the ER at Overlake were top notch. While I certainly hope to never be there again, it was a good place to end up after my fall.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jim,

    I heard from some of our coworkers what happened and I'm glad that despite everything, you're still maintaining your sense of humor.

    You mentioned, or someone else did, getting a tattoo to cover your scars. Well, before you do that, ask your doctor when you can start applying vitamin E (you slice open the gel pills and slather it on) to your incision sites. It'll lessen the scarring, make the skin more supple, and can help prevent tight spots.

    Here are some fun facts about being a Titanium Babe: you can tell when the weather is going to change because titanium expands slightly; you get special VIP treatment at the airport during high security times, so bring your implant card with you; and you might develop a strange empathy for the Terminator from the original movie.

    Here's some tips about what to do when laid up.

    If you're on pain meds, Robert Heinlein's "Stranger in a Strange Land" is a very surreal read. Check out online classes at your local community college. They're cheap, fun and you can do them at your own pace. Try crossword puzzles, Suduko, and word find books.

    Take up new hobbies like writing bad poetry. Such as -- Jim, on a whim, moved to Washington for the snow.

    Beware of soap opera syndrom. As in before you know it, you're sucked in and addicted to the love quadrangle of the week.

    Anyway, those are some of the things I learned while laid up. Take care and I'll check in with you again soon.

    Jeannie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim,

    Best of luck with today's surgery. Let us know how you're doing.

    -Tim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for all the suggestions Jeannie! No worries about getting hooked on the soaps, but a friend did just bring over several years worth of House episodes. :)
    Cheers,
    Jim.

    ReplyDelete